|Spend some time
[ St Mary's Church ]
Minster Village Website
Thanet Council Site
not visit Minster Abbey, St Mary's Church and of
course Minster Museum
will be assured of a warm welcome!
St Mary's Church
The Church, originally known as the "Mother
Church" or the "Cathedral on the
marshes", was founded in 670 AD. It was the
first church to be built in Thanet, and was
probably built of mud and twigs.
second Church was built on the site, but the
actual date is unknown, the oldest part, the
original staircase wand watchtower, dates back as
far as the 12th Century. At the top of
the new staircase, a massive Norman tower carries
a peal of five ancient bells, four of which are
dated from the early 17th Century.
Nave has stood in its present form since about
1150, but the church has stood on this site from
a much earlier period. On the West side of the
church, Roman bricks have been used in the walls
and tower, where a much older building has been
incorporated into the structure.
years ago, the sea would have come right up to
the churchyard wall, which acted as a barrier,
during the high tides. The turret would have
served as a watch tower for shipping.
church was completely renovated in 1970, but lost
it's steeple in the hurricane of 1987. It was
restored in 1989.